Before getting the answer that are spider plants poisonous to cats or not. Firstly you know about the spider plants and what are the characteristics of spider plants.
The botanical name of spider plants is Chlorophytum comosum and it is one of the popular members of the Liliaceae family commonly cultivated as a household plant.
Spider plants are the most common and easiest to grow of all the trailing and hanging plants and in comparison to other plants, they will flourish in any condition.
Spider plants are known as different names in different locations is African flower, spider flower, spider wisp, and cat’s wishkers. Ribbon plant, spider ivy, and Anthericum are some common name of this plant.
Spider plants are commonly found all over the planet but they are mainly found in the tropical regions of Asia and Africa as a native plant.
Why the cat eats spider plant:
There is not a particular answer of this question why cat eats spider plant, maybe cat like the taste of a plant, or as you know the cat is mainly a carnivorous animal but sometimes they prefer to eat different things which really helps them in vomit or other digestive related problems.
Spider plants look attractive and maybe this is the reason, the cat also attracted, and when they get to close them, the cat wants to play with plants in a funny way.
Are spider plants poisonous to cats:
On behalf of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(ASPCA), spider plants are non-toxic to cats and other pets.
Spider plants are not poisonous but they still harm the animal because spider plant contain chemical composition like opium and on a large amount of consumption of plant by the cat or other animal, may cause diarrhea, headache or vomiting.
So it is recommended to you keep the cat away from the spider plants as much as possible.
Are spider plants poisonous to cats ( Tips to Avoid this Situation):
If you really don’t want to put your cat in danger, so it’s better you follow some steps to keep the plant away from the cat or any other pet, so you never looking for the answer are spider plant poisonous to a cat or not?
1. Hang or place the plant high as much as possible so there is no chance for a cat to reach and damage the plant.
2. The shiny leaves of your spider plants may attract the cat, so it is better if you keep it tidy.
3. Grow other indoor plants or cat grass which is not get any harm to your cat.
4. Use some cayenne pepper and spray it on the leaves of the plants, it not harm your plant and keep your cat away from the plant, because for cat its very spicy and uncomfortable to them.
Random facts of spider plants:
1. Spider plants have a great ability to purify the indoor air quality by removing the formaldehyde from the air around it.
2. Spider plants easily thrive under high temperatures between 65 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Spider plants require only the simple draining of water.
4. Spider plants also need fertilizer for their proper growth, you can give them fertilizer once around 3-4 months.
5. Please avoid putting them in clod areas or cold temperature, they don’t like the cold temperature.so don’t place them near the window where the cold is coming.
After reading now you have a clear idea are spider plants poisonous to cats or not. Now you have to keep in mind that most of the plants are safe and toxic-free but precaution is always better than cure.
If you really want to keep your cat safe, so keep them away from the spider plants as much as possible. Spider plants are not poisonous t cat but excessive feed of leaves put your cat in danger.