What is mulching and its benefits every new gardener face this question? If you are totally beginner and have no idea about what is mulching & what is the benefits of mulching, then you are coming t the right place, here you need all the insights related to what is mulching. Why mulching is important for plants & what are their benefits.
What is mulching?
1. Mulching is the process in which any type of material mostly organic places on the soil surface around the plants in order to protect, insulate & beautify the area. Mulching not only helps you to keep your plants avoid weed protection but also helps to keep your plant healthy.
2. There are commonly two types of materiel are used in mulching organic or inorganic.
3. Inorganic type of mulch generally plant dried material, compost, livestock, wood shavings, sawdust, cotton fabric & bark, etc are coming.
4. Inorganic mulch material may consist of synthetic material like plastic sheets, newspaper, cursed rock & pebble.
Also Read: Top 12 Best Money Saving Tips For Gardeners
What is the benefit of mulching?
1. Check soil erosion:
One of the great benefits of mulching is that it prevents soil erosion. The main reason for soil erosion is when air & water come to the soil surface of the pants & remove the soil from there but if you use mulching it really helps you to prevent soil erosion.
2.Cools down soil in summer:
Mulching really helps to cool down the soil in summer because it retains the water or moisture capacity for a long time and avoids sunlight to raise the temperature of the earth because it reflects the sunlight.
3.Keep vegetables & fruits clean:
By using mulching you can easily avoid getting fruits & vegetables getting dirty from the soil. You can avail of the clean vegetables & fruits.
With the help of mulching, you can easily suppress the growth of the weed. The mulch layer really reduces the chances of weed growth, this is the most effective way of control weeds.
5.Helps against the soil compaction:
There is no doubt mulching really helps to reduce the soil compaction from the impact of people, equipment & heavy rain.
6.Help in maintaining the right temperature:
Mulching can help your plants to maintain an even temperature. It helps to hold the moisture in the soil for a very long time & avoid raising the temperature f the earth.
7.Keep soil warm in winter:
Mulching really helps to regulate the temperature of the earth during the winter season, it avoids to cool the surface of the soil, so the soil can easily maintain the right amount of temperature that is required for the pant to sustain easily during winter or cold.
There is no doubt mulching makes your garden attractive & beautiful. It provides your garden with a manicured look.
9.Improves soil structure:
One of the biggest benefits of mulching is it improves your soil structure & it also helps the soil to keep store nutrients to the soil.
10.Reduce the water use:
Mulching really helps to reduce the water availability, it stores the soil moisture and helps plants to grow.
What is Mulching (tips):
1. For better result you can organic compost as a mulch that can help grow your plants.
2.Always monitor your plants on regular basis, it will cut down on watering & feeding.
3.During summer always tries to place your mulch after the ground frozen around 5 to 6 inches.
4.If some weeds grow through the mulch due to a thin layer, then add some more mulch in the required place.
5.Some mulches have a lower nutrients value or high pH value, so avoid using them.